Today was one of those mornings (or last night was one of those nights) where I just could not get back to sleep after I woke up in the middle of the night. I had to pee, my stomach was growling, and my mind was racing. I decided to just get up and go for it and figure out how to use this negative anxiety energy to be productive.
I started with an easy task: breakfast and coffee! Greek yogurt, honey, walnuts, and 3 kinds of cereal…no big deal.
While I was eating breakfast, I watched some video clips from GMA and ABC News (I exhausted the new ones on the Today Show website already). This one about organizing your life in 18 minutes hit close to home — it’s about time management and the guy they talked to (Peter Bregmen, whose blog I totally got sucked into afterwards) made some good points: you’ll never be able to get it all done, so you need to choose what’s most important. Fav blog post and advice that I’m trying to take this morning: schedule your to do list!
You can check out the video for yourself:
I am feeling a bit more productive just having added some time and place ideas to my to do list (I added my tasks onto my google calendar, which is kind of like my master list and I don’t know if I’d be where I’m supposed to be at any given time without the thing!). I also emailed the grad programs in Canada that I applied to in hopes of finding out a time period for when they make admissions decisions. I am pretty sure Western lets you know early (a girl I know in the program got acceptance in late February last year, but that being said she is an ALL STAR and I don’t know if it was cuz she was clearly getting in that she heard so early!) but I really am clueless as to when Ryerson and UBC let you know. Since right now I’m leaning towards UBC, I really want to know how long I’ve got to be on the edge of my seat and not sleeping for…haha!
My big to do list with times for today so far looks like:
- call Fowler for an appointment with a physio (7am, Monday)
- call Columbia about exam proctor and find one (930am, Monday)
- call on gift certificate for a massage that’s about to expire (Monday, 10am)
- do readings and write discussion board post for readings for online course (Monday, 10am)
- Gazette (10:30am)
- work on fashion writing (1pm)
- take a nap (4pm, Monday)
- make new spin playlist (6pm, Monday)
- writing for Runners Feed
- emailing/calling friends
- financial aid application for Columbia
- Charity Ball – Saturday
- Running clinic at Crossfit – Saturday
- coaching decisions
- online writing class work
- readings for Fashion Writing, Personal Essay Writing, and Social Theory classes
- column for Gazette
- bank – cash pay cheques, pay visa, transfer money
- return sweater to lululemon (impulse buy, regretting it–back to that Visa bill)
- Monday: spin 730pm
- Tuesday: swim 6am, bootcamp 530pm (instruct)
- Wednesday: bootcamp 435 (instruct) and spin 535pm
- Thursday: swim 6am
- Friday: core class, yoga or swim
- Saturday: spin
- Sunday: swim
Goal for the week: be awesome!
Now that I kind of have an idea of what needs to be done, I can start figuring out when to do the stuff! It doesn’t seem so bad that way, I guess. If it’s not that important, it won’t fit in (i.e. I don’t need to vacuum right now if I have assignments due and I can wear different clothes if I have to be out all day and can’t do my laundry til tomorrow).
Anddddd I should still be sleeping.
What do you use for a planner?
Do you have a system for your to do list?
What’s your week looking like?