I just got a brand new issue of Yoga Journal today and it reminded me of something: September is just as good a time as any to have a fresh start! I am not one for all or nothing thinking or saying “tomorrow I will change” but I am one for starting NOW and it just so happens that it’s pretty darn close to September 1 (90 minutes to go, to be exact). While Yoga Journal’s idea of a fresh start is more of a gentle detox, I always feel a sort of excitement and potential and possibility in the air come September (it’s usually accompanied by the smell of fresh books, the feel of new highlighters, and a back to school shopping spree!).
“September fills me with energy and optimism, big plans and bigger dreams…It’s paradoxical, I know. Fall represents the end of things: the summer, and the year drawing to a close. But for anyone who remembers that sensation of optimism and excitement—the smell of freshly sharpened pencils and new shoes, the terror and thrill of walking into a new classroom—September is when things really begin.”
The more I hear about people who are not going back to school, the more grateful I am to be. I’m not actually ready for the next chapter but I am ready for taking a different approach.
I’ve got some goals for September:
- complete the Olympic triathlon at Lakeside
- host/enjoy my sister’s bachelorette/bridal shower-ish party
- swim consistently (at least twice per week)
- continue to work towards intuitive eating
- get 7 hours of sleep each night
- establish a routine with school and work
- volunteer at the Gazette at least once per week
- bike to Sarnia
- bake cake pops
- pitch a story to at least one new magazine
- start to work on my journalism applications (contact references, maybe write an essay, etc.)
That’s not a bad place to start!
What are your goals for September?